Competition: Contenders Bong and Dab Rig Face Each Other! Who Will Win?
Dab rigs and bongs are two staples of the ongoing cannabis scene. Bongs have been around for quite a long time, whereas dab rig was found a few years ago; this is one of the reasons why people lean more towards bongs. But some smokers are confused ever since dabs came into the picture.
For a striking smoking experience, it is vital to understand the differences and similarities, observe details, and select one device that best suits your needs. This guide will help you to compare these two popular smoking apparatuses and allow you to choose the best one for your cannabis consumption needs.
How Bongs and Dab Ribs Work?
Generally, bongs are designed for smoking herbs by using a simple water filtration system that filters and cools the smoke before inhalation. It typically comprises of a transferable bowl, a down stem that goes into the water chamber, a neck through which the smoke travels, and a mouthpiece to inhale the smoke.
The crucial part of the whole bong experience is the bubbling action. Two things happen when the smoke passes through the water:
- The temperature of the smoke drops to turn it cool before inhalation.
- Denser particles are pulled out to ensure cleaner and smoother smoke.
Dab rigs inherently use a similar water filtration process as a bong and can be considered as its extension, but the two devices use entirely different components for consumption. While a bong comprises of a bowl to hold the flower, a dab rig will contain a nail or a banger, mainly designed for vaporizing potent cannabis concentrates.
To smoke from a dag rig, different heating sources are required as compared to a conventional bong. A simple lighter, match, or hemp wick is sufficient for using a bong, whereas as a blowtorch or an e-nail is necessary for dabbing.
Major Difference and Similarities
Although bongs and dab rigs are quite alike, there are few differences between the two. Let’s take a look at them:
- Both devices depend on water filtration to filter and cool the smoke or vapor.
- Bong and dab rigs are primarily made out of glass and augmented by multiple attachments.
- Both usually comprise an ice catch, which allows the user to add an ice block to cool the smoke or vapor further.
- Bongs and dab rigs are essentially water pipes that filter the smoke through the water to give a smoother hit.
- Multiple chambers and percolators are used to filter the cannabis smoke.
- Both leave a gooey resin in the pipe that required regular cleaning.
- As they are made of glass, both tend to break easily.
- Dab rigs are for consuming concentrates while bongs are used for smoking cannabis flowers or other herbs.
- Bongs typically involve a removable bowl, whereas dab rigs require a banger or nail as well as a dome or cap.
- To smoke from a bong, a simple matchstick, lighter or hemp wick can be used to ignite the cannabis flower. Whereas, an e-nail or blowtorch is needed to vaporize concentrate from a dab rig.
- A dab rig generally smaller in size as compared to a bong.
- A bong is overall cheaper than a dab rig.
Picking the Right Gear
To choose the right gear, it is crucial first to consider the kind of cannabis product you are going to consume as bongs are for herbs and flower, and dab rigs are for concentrates.
After that, it is all about matching your gear to your needs, preference, and style. Below are a few other vital factors to consider when choosing a bong or dab rig:
Bongs range from massive multi-chambered, tabletop-only pieces to smaller handheld bubblers. They vary from very basic, purely functional pieces to much bigger and complex hand blown pieces with multiple percolators, chambers, and accessories. Therefore, ensure to match the size of your piece to your smoking preferences.
In this regard, gab rigs are quite similar to bongs, though the prime component that will vary in terms of size is the core water pipe. These also vary from simple, purely functional pieces to much complex and larger, hand-blown pieces.
If you are only smoking at the same place, a typical glass piece will serve you best. But if you want to smoke a bong in multiple locations, buying a smaller, portable bong would be an ideal option.
On the other hand, a dab rig provides a lot of flexibility when it comes to mobility. A regular dab rig is pretty much for tabletop use only. But if you are someone who enjoys smoking on the go, it is better to go with a vape-pen as it uses a small chamber of cannabis oil.
Quality of Smoke or Vapor
A bong generally delivers a cooler smoke as an ice catch is attached to it. Whereas, dabbing is all about the right temperature and requires the user to repetitively heat the nail to a temperature that can effectively vaporize the oil. Maintaining the wrong temperature can ruin the entire smoking experience for the consumer.
Style vs. Functionality
If you are in it only for the primary function, very affordable and decent-quality bongs can be found. But if you are one of those enthusiasts that artistic flair, the sky is the limit, with high-end glass artists making personalized bong pieces.
Similarly, affordable dab rigs that include basic essentials are available in the market, or you can go for larger, much complex, and artistic rigs with heavier price tags.
The Final Take
Fairly speaking, it all depends on the personal preference of each smoker. Some people prefer to smoke from beefier, larger bongs over more compact pieces. While several people prefer versatile dab rig pieces that they can easily use on the go. But at the end of the day, you should go with the option that best suits your need.
Nonetheless, the one thing that should be kept in mind while spending your hard-earned money is to ensure you purchase an apparatus that provides you with the best value.
To conclude, we have to say that dab rigs can change to bongs more easily than bongs can to dab rigs. Therefore, we have to give the big W to dab rigs for being a lot more versatile.